Friday, August 29, 2008

Extra Quilt Batting

After you sandwich your quilt what the heck do you do with that Extra Quilt Batting (EQB) you trim off??? Don't toss it out!!! I have a few uses for it!

Okay the first one is a no brainer, I sandwich it between two pieces of muslin to practice my free motion quilting. I also have used a piece from the back of my quilt, sandwich my extra batting and do some test run quilt on it before I start my quilt. This way I make sure my tension is set correctly and that my thread is a good choice.

Next, some of my pieces are big enough to hang onto for a wall hanging or a small baby quilt. I have even piece 2 extra pieces together to do a baby quilt. I have also made Poop a little book from a panel, it called for a yard of batting. Not me I had EQB for the whole thing!

A fun one that I enjoy is the base for a quilted purse/bag. That fusible stuff is $6 to $8 a yard. Use your EQB, a little quilt basting spray and you are in business!

I made a bag last night that had batting in the straps. I pulled out the box of EQB, the piece in the perfect size just waiting for me on top of the stack.

1 comment:

miz lizzie said...

I use an extra piece of batting to park my loose threads clipped when I'm machine piecing or machine quilting. The thread sticks to the batting instead of floating all around my sewing area or on my clothing. When I'm done I simply throw away the entire piece of batting.